Sunday, March 23, 2014

The winter that keeps on going.....

This winter has certainly been the one to put the house through its cold weather tests. I am very happy to report that it has passed with flying colors, and has proven to be more comfortable than some of the apartments I have lived in. I wouldn't even consider the house as fully winterized as of yet (skirting was not completed, some of the older windows still need storm window), but if it could make it through these past few months without a hitch, than I am certainly not worried about future winters. 

The cold, unfortunately, was the least of my worries this winter. On New Years Eve I found out that my cat, Willow, had Injection Site Sarcoma, an aggressive tumor cause by one of her previous inoculations. Lesson learned... cats should get injections only in their hind leg, where the surgery is more apt to get all of the tumor, or in the tail, which won't be missed if needed to be removed. The only option was radical surgery which required amputation of her front left leg. My brother lent me a dog gate to block her in on the bed loft, and my folks lent me a dog crate to hold her litter box and so she could be further enclosed when I was at work. 

Her initial recovery week was of course during that extreme cold spell we had. With temperatures in the negative teens, the house was still relatively comfortable until you factored in a half shaved, drugged up kitty wearing a cone and missing a leg. She slept under the covers at night, so I could share my body heat, and then I would wake up at 3am when she was too drugged to make it to the litter box. After a few cycles of that, the combination of having no pillows and only one thin urine free blanked, which would encourage me to get up and stoke the fire, and a transition from cone to onesy made our nights, thankfully, less eventful.




Willow is adapting to her new tripod state, and now that some of the snow has melted, she is able to return to her indoor/outdoor life. In fact, yesterday I came home to a half eaten mouse on the rug. Never thought I would be so happy to find a dead thing in the house.


With the change of seasons will be coming some new posts with further details on what I have found about winter living in a tiny home. It seems like a number of conversations taking place in the online tiny house community suggests people are wary of the tiny house and winter combo. Having just lived through it, I can honestly say that it can easily be done.

For the time being though, I thought I would share an image of the house with its never disappearing snow tunnel entrance. 


















2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your kitty has such a loving owner~ I just happened across your blog and now must follow.
    Take care~
    Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rowan, I'm do happy to have stumbled upon your Article and your tiny house Journey. I just took the plunge myself and recently bought a 20ft. heavy equipment trailer. I don't have much of an income and I'n praying for some miracles to manifest my dream of building it . Hoping I can reach out to you for advice once I get started. P.S. ""Willow" looks like my " SQUEAKY", so glad she's ok. Kindly, Patty.

    ReplyDelete