Monday, September 2, 2013

Moving in...

School, or at least two days of faculty meetings, begins tomorrow and so this past week has been spent making the space livable and to move it into place. While there are still loads to do, with the electric, plumbing, heating, etc. left to hook up, I have moved my mattress in. 
And for now, that is more than enough.  






Our friend Walter generously made the maple counter tops for me, along with tagging the underside. Incidentally, Walter is also the one who had tagged the vapor barrier with port-a-house.  

Framing for the counter on the south wall with the 12v fridge and sink. 

Framing for the counter on the north wall

I finally got around to finishing the nose (as well as the roof) - in time for picking up the batteries from Massachusetts. This picture shows the roof of the nose mid trimming.
For the toilet, I based the design off of the lovable loo. It's a bit wider to include a compartment for sawdust or other covering, and a little bit taller so the sawdust bucket sits flush under the top, and a short stand for the toilet bucket so it sits right under the seat. This one still needs a lid for the sawdust. To the left you can see a little shelf that is built into the wall and actually sits in some unusable space under the kitchen counter. Next step though is to see if Willow will want to use it too.... 

The unfinished stand for the bison pump, which will be used to pump water from the rainwater collection tank underneath the trailer, either into a bucket or up to storage tanks above the tub. For winter I will be experimenting with using a solar collector to keep the tank itself from freezing.
The line itself, though, will drain back down after every use.



For the short move, Kevin and his children came out to lend a hand and a truck.
Although I would like to try out towing it with my Yaris next time. 


The house in it's new temporary home. It'll be on the edge of my folks property until I have land of my own to move to. Until that time I still get to enjoy access to the shop, the sounds of the river, the vegetable garden in the backyard, and pear trees in the front.

Maple helping me install the cat door.

And the finished cat door.





No comments:

Post a Comment