Saturday, August 10, 2013

The beginning of interior work




The bathroom ceiling was the first section to go up.
 I wanted to complete a whole section for that sense of immediate satisfaction before moving on to more complicated areas. That, and I just LOVE the cedar.



The chimney support....
I have no idea how you're supposed to cut around pipes, but this made up method definitely worked for me. First I took a piece of paper, lined an edge up with the wall and drew the basic diameter of the pipe. Then I cut some slits so it could slide over the chimney support and used a pencil to scribe the resulting oval before cutting it out. 

Since the bottom edge of the paper lined up with the wall, all I had to do was square it up, do some basic measurements, and trace.

And voila!


The light fixtures.....
I got these nifty 12v light fixtures and in order to put them in had to cut some of the insulation for the part that protrudes as well as a rainbow like arc for the mc cable to be able to move in and out of the small hole in the ceiling.


For where there are a series of three lights together I used a piece of paper to map things out before cutting into the insulation, and then reused it when cutting the holes.
Putting up a 15' ceiling board by yourself.....


Using three ladders and various wedges and twisting boards to lock things into place and a number of new expletives, it can be done.

 The ceiling almost done....




The pine paneling complete....





The bathroom wall....

It was amazing to see how quickly even this basic framing creates a totally new sense of space.


Cedar from the bathroom will show through these shelves.


The small wall between the kitchen and living area....



The short loft bed....









To the right is the unfinished book case which will have adjustable shelves (I hope). On the upper left is another shelf, which will also be backed with pine T&G, and allow for the possibility of a curtain if I ever desire.

A way to move a miter saw by yourself without dismantling it first....

Just figured this one out today, and my back thanks me...




Next up.... Trim work, under loft and bedroom shelving, and finishing the roof before hurricane season starts up again.





3 comments:

  1. what is the length of your bed space?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bed is a full, which in the width of the house (about 7.5 feet) leaves about a foot for the closet at the foot of the mattress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your tiny home :) and your blog! My husband and I have been thinking about building our own, and you have inspired us that it CAN be done ;)

      Delete