Saturday, July 27, 2013

Insulation time

A big thank you to Kevin, Brent, Luis, Walter, and Pedro for all their hard work on insulating the house. It looks great. - On Friday the 19th, the guys from Hudson Valley Green Insulation braved the excruciating heat to begin the insulation of the house, and then finished on the following Monday. It was pretty amazing to see the space transform over that short period of time. (Basically since October the interior has looked the same).

I'm lucky to be building this on property that is not itself off the grid. The equipment in the truck requires a 100amp breaker- something my house will definitely not have. 
I chose to go with closed cell spray foam for a number of reasons. 1- highest R-value for the thin walls. 2- adds structural support, which is a benefit with any racking issues. 3- will not have any moisture issues with closed cell. I also chose to NOT do it myself because for one, it probably would have cost about the same if renting one of those kits, and it is super messy if you don't know what you are doing. Also come to find out, everything has to be spaced out time wise, because if you fill a wall too quickly the A and B mixture can heat up too rapidly and catch fire.... go figure.

Before

After





This picture actually captures the mint chocolate chip color better than the others.




 The guys were able to come out about 2 weeks after I called, a time gap that was actually a blessing. It gave me time to double check everything- since once the insulation is in there's no changing anything without a big headache. I actually ended up rewiring a few things and make a few other minor changes I would have missed otherwise.


I was a little concerned about the siding nails that did not make it into a stud,  since the ply is only 3/8 as well as the fact that the house will be moving, and so I ended up using speed nuts to reinforce the nails in question.

Because the insulation will push out any wires, conduit, etc. I used these brackets, but didn't sink them all the way in (would have poked through the outside) and still keeps the mc cable in the center area of the wall. 

For the ceiling light mc cables I used some brackets to make sure they exited the ceiling exactly where I wanted them, and didn't shift during the spraying. 


When my folks were refinishing the kitchen in their 1860 farm house, they found a number of treasures stuck in the walls including a child's shoe. This is common in many old houses, bringing good luck to the new home, and so my folks put the shoe back in the wall along with one of my brother's old sneakers. I decided to continue the tradition, and put one of my niece's shoes above the door, with a penny (minted this year) hidden in the toe. Maple was a little confused and kept asking if I needed to tools to help take her shoe down. Apparently the reasoning that it will bring good luck is not a sufficient explanation for a 2 and 1/2 year old.





1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting everything you need done in your house. Having an insulation is a good way to reduce your electricity bills during unfavorable weather. As far as I can see from the photos, it was done well and will aid you for a very long time. Thanks for sharing!

    Todd Kroll @ Kroll Window

    ReplyDelete