Saturday, January 26, 2013

Flooring and Research

 
Despite the fact that I haven't posted in a while, work continues on the house. The biggest push forward was over the holiday break- when I got the floor in. (I decided to put the floor in at this point because I thought it would be easier to install the plumbing etc.) I did have to go out and buy a pneumatic nailer, because the floor nailers friends lent me were just too powerful... they ripped the flooring to shreds. Once I had the right tool though, the process was painless and rhythmic.






    



Immediately after finishing the floor, I covered it again with rosen paper and luan so that I didn't have to cry every time I dropped my hammer. Trimmed the insulation around the windows and started putting up the joists for my low loft. The top of the 2x4 sits at 36", which gives me enough room to sit comfortably underneath without craning my neck.






Then the cold wave hit.... there's no way my home can retain any heat, even with 3 electric space heaters. So actual labor is on hold for a little bit but the research continues. I found some great guys over at Hudson Valley Green Insulation that will be doing the closed-cell spray foam when the time comes. Finding someone to hire for help with the 12v wiring and system has been more difficult. Many companies don't do off the grid, and I wonder if the others think I am too small/looney of a job for them. It looks like I may have to do it without professional help. Well... I say without professional help, but there are companies with great customer service, talking with some people who have completed similar projects, and a father and friend who have electrical, if not solar, knowhow. I've been reading up on alternative energy like crazy, and running around with a wind meter and kill-a-watt meter, so I'm ready for the challenge. In any case, it will get done. In fact I make the jump tomorrow to go look at lighting options, so that I can cement the lighting, and thus wiring, design.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rowan, This undertaking is truly impressive! You seem to have put a lot of thought and research into the electrical, so this thought may have come and gone, but have you thought about a "doner" wrecked RV for your elecrtical? You should be able to get them relatively inexpensively ($2,500)and remove all the solar and electrical to put into your home. Look at this link and see what you think. http://www.rv-insight.com/RV-Electricity.html
    What is left could be sold to a scrap yard to recoup some of the expense. - Colleen and Sarah's dad, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Dewalt DW175 miter saw. I have problem with cutting board 45 and 90 degree. Do you sharing tips? I want to décor crib for my daughter next week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for your sharing. I read information very late, your article is closed but congrats to our winner. I bought Dewalt miter saw. It very good, I think I create anything that join contest

    ReplyDelete