|Margaret and I realized that this is the first photo of her actually working.|
Just to make it clear, she is in reality unbelievable in the way she speeds through things.
And... she makes sure that I don't spend too much time over thinking things.
The window trim is on, and the window drip edges, if not all installed, are cut and ready to go. Everything is caulked and spray foam insulation is put in around the windows (that stuff is really weird, and kind of fun to play with, by the way).
What is REALLY exciting, however, is the siding. I splurged and got 1/2 inch bevel clear cedar - and am so happy that I did. On the ride home with it in Dad's van I couldn't stop petting and pressing my nose into it. Putting it up was a bit challenging at first since it likes to split often, until I started to pre-drill my holes. More time consuming for sure, but definitely saves a lot of boards in the end.
|One side completed... the side I see when I drive up, so can pretend it's all finished. |
The other short side is half way done.
|Marks as transferred to the trim.|
|using a cut block for consistency, I marked out my level using tape, |
and then transferred those marks to the trim.
The other VERY exciting thing is the door. On Saturday, while Margaret stained (with penetrating clear oil) the siding and touched up screw holes in the trim (with wood epoxy), Dawn's husband Pete came and put in the doors. For a little while I had been worried that I had underestimated the amount of window space the house needed. Once the doors were in, though, it became clear that there is more than enough. And now the house is almost winter ready- just in time too.
|Pete and the doors! A little tricky because they are out-swing... but it will make more sense when I put in the door sweep and the removable awning.|