Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Magic Hour

I haven't posted in a while only because I have been working in small bits of time, in the hour or so I have between when I get home and when I run out of daylight, and then have to get back to work and/or thesis stuff in the evening. This past weekend though I was I able to spend a solid day and a half on the house, with some help from Margaret and Pete. Now visible progress can actually be seen!

Margaret and I realized that this is the first photo of her actually working.
Just to make it clear, she is in reality unbelievable in the way she speeds through things.
And...  she makes sure that I don't spend too much time over thinking things.



The window trim is on, and the window drip edges, if not all installed, are cut and ready to go. Everything is caulked and spray foam insulation is put in around the windows (that stuff is really weird, and kind of fun to play with, by the way).

What is REALLY exciting, however, is the siding. I splurged and got 1/2 inch bevel clear cedar - and am so happy that I did. On the ride home with it in Dad's van I couldn't stop petting and pressing my nose into it. Putting it up was a bit challenging at first since it likes to split often, until I started to pre-drill my holes. More time consuming for sure, but definitely saves a lot of boards in the end.




One side completed... the side I see when I drive up, so can pretend it's all finished.
The other short side is half way done.

At first I thought I was going to use a block to help guide the spacing of the boards, but Lucas recommended I mark the trim instead, and it has been going smoothly (and I think ended up an easier way when working solo). It takes me a long time to put up though, since after every board I have to stand back and contemplate on how pretty it looks. I have to say that it's very rewarding, after working on all the important foundation and internal structure parts, to have something finished that is part of the final look.

Marks as transferred to the trim.
using a cut block for consistency, I marked out my level using tape,
and then transferred those marks to the trim. 

The other VERY exciting thing is the door. On Saturday, while Margaret stained (with penetrating clear oil) the siding and touched up screw holes in the trim (with wood epoxy), Dawn's husband Pete came and put in the doors. For a little while I had been worried that I had underestimated the amount of window space the house needed. Once the doors were in, though, it became clear that there is more than enough. And now the house is almost winter ready- just in time too.

Pete and the doors! A little tricky because they are out-swing... but it will make more sense when I put in the door sweep and the removable awning. 



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wood! My fiancé and I are building our own tiny house without any prior experience as well. I just found your blog tonight and have been really enjoying it.
    I wanted to inquire as to what kind and color of stain your used for your exterior cedar? We bought our cedar this week and will be installing it next week and are trying to find the perfect stain. I really like yours!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the delay... and you have probably already stained yours by now. I actually didn't like the first clear coat I used and ended up going with a Benjamin Moore brand the next year which was ok. It seems like finding that perfect clear stain is more difficult than I would have thought. I tried to find the container, but no luck. I will repost when I do. Please let me know what you ended up using. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete