Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sheathing finally begins

So after 6 weeks of grad school, and then a few days of sleeping a recuperating, I've finally had the chance to work on the house again. Still, even after about a week of working on it, it doesn't seem like all that much has changed. There was a lot measuring, making decisions, and then re-measuring. Every time I thought I would be able to move on to the sheathing, there would be another thing I would need to add to the to do list before I could move on.

The windows are all finally framed and the hurricane clips are installed. I also bolted the sill plate directly through the floor and to the trailer and bolted the walls together on the ends.






I had to rethink the kitchen windows since the sashes I found would have fit in too snugly to the bathroom wall. Luckily my dad found some old windows in the barn that he graciously framed for me.




Choosing the flooring felt a bit overwhelming. If weight was the sole concern then a laminate of some sort would make the most sense. But I went to a few stores, took the samples down and walked on them barefoot (I'm sure looking a little odd) and nothing felt right. I was considering pine, the douglas fir which is much more durable but is also much more expensive. I ultimately went with bamboo, solid vertical grain with a carbonized finish. Solid enough to reinforce my thinner subfloor and it still possess a warm feeling under toe.





Putting up the sheathing presents a few challenges working solo, but I was able to devise a ways to make it a bit easier. 




At this point there is actually a lot more done, just no pictures yet....





No comments:

Post a Comment